City of Bonne Terre
At one time the richest lead ore in the world was located in Bonne Terre and surrounding area. The French discovered lead in Bonne Terre in 1720 and they called the settlement “La Terre Bonne”, “Good Earth”, in reference to the mineral wealth. The actual town was formed in April 1864, when St. Joseph Lead Co. purchased 946 acres of land. The City of Bonne Terre was incorporated as a third class city in 1917.
Contact: Jim Eaton @ 573-358-2254
Address: 118 N. Allen Street, Bonne Terre, MO 63628